S01E05 - Containers, Containers Everywhere
BuildOn on Weekly stream from 2022-08-11
Welcome to episode 5 of Build On Weekly! 🥳
Today Jacquie and Darko, discuss a few things around Containers and Hybrid environments. That means running your applications On-Premises AND in the cloud. In today's episode watch Darko as he sweats trying to troubleshoot a real time demo. 😅
We will be posting here, on BuildOn.aws, to share show notes, links, socials, code, and any other things mentioned during the live stream with you! 🚀
Today on deployed weekly we take another peek at Lambda functions and .NET. What are the best strategies when running the two together. We talk about a interesting Open Source tool that helps you prototype and productionize (is that even a word?) ML Pipelines. Another wonderful CLI tool out there, for al the CLI and Tracing fans. A wrap up on the AWS Storage Day that happened the day before and finally an amazing interview/podcast over on Lex Friedman’s channel - with the best programmer in the world John Carmack.
Links from the discussion:
- Optimal strategy for running .NET code on Lambda functions by Steve Bjorg: https://dev.to/lambdasharp/optimal-strategies-for-net-on-aws-lambda-45kg
- Sematic, an open-source development toolkit for AI/ML: https://github.com/sematic-ai/sematic
- Do more stuff from the console with xray-cli!: https://github.com/mhlabs/xray-cli
- Yesterday - the 10th of August - was AWS Storage Day! 🥳 https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/welcome-to-aws-storage-day-2022/
- Lex Friedman podcast with John Carmack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I845O57ZSy4
Today we will be talking about a few things, you all should know about:
- Containers and the reason we use them.
- Hybrid environments.
- Darko’s Macbook ECS cluster
Just a quick word this. Containers, or more precisely Containerization is application-level virtualization. The reason for this is so that software can be packaged up in these containers and run in isolated “user spaces” called containers!
Because we want to be able to package the entire running environment of a piece of software into a single bundle and run it on many different platform. Be that the cloud or in that laptop right in front of you! Magic!
On today's episode Jacquie and Darko talk about containers, why you should use them, how to orchestrate them and what do they have to do with a Hybrid environment.
Later in the episode, check out how Darko struggles to add an external "server" to his AWS ECS (Elastic Container Service) cluster. Plenty of fun times were had while troubleshooting.
Links from the discussion
- Nathan Peck’s blog post: https://nathanpeck.com/ingress-to-ecs-anywhere-from-anywhere-using-inlets/
- Darko’s cluster (if it is still running): https://macluster.rup12.net/
- ECS Anywhere: https://aws.amazon.com/ecs/anywhere/
🐦 Reach out to the hosts and guests:
Jacquie: https://twitter.com/devopsjacquie Darko: https://twitter.com/darkosubotica